1 June, 2018
Alfredo Sauce – Cauliflower, Non-Dairy
Posted in : Recipes on by : Chef Spaulding
Non-dairy, cauliflower-based Alfredo sauce
- Olive Oil || 1 tsp
- Cauliflower || 3 cups, approx 1 small head or a bag
- Onion || 1/2 onion, diced
- Garlic || 2-4 cloves
- Vegetable Stock || 1 cup
- Nutritional yeast || 1 Tbsp || I have dialed this back to 1 Tbsp, but some people use 2 Tbsp or even a little more. Find a taste profile you like
- Lemon juice || 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt || 1/2 – 1 tsp
- Pepper || 1/2 tsp
- Essential Amino Acids || 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
- Margarine (e.g. Earth Balance) || 2-3 Tbsp || Optional, but I like it. I’ve used EVOO as well.
- Heat Oil in medium stock pot.
- Saute Onion for 3-5 mins until translucent.
- Stir in Garlic, saute for 1 min longer.
- Add Cauliflower and Vegetable Stock.
- Cover and steam/simmer for 5-10 mins, until the Cauliflower is soft.
- (Removed the Cauliflower from the heat, wait a couple mins for it to cool a bit.)
- Blend the Cauliflower until smooth.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients (Nutritional Yeast, Lemon Juice, Salt, Pepper, Amino Acids, Butter).
- Blend until smooth.
- Adjust Nutritional Yeast, Salt, etc. to taste.
- Serve while warm on fresh cooked pasta (
- Or it’s great the next day, warmed from the fridge before using.
- I try to use lighter in color, and flavor, veggie stock. In part this helps keep the final color the sauce more yellow / less brown.
- Experiment with the Nutritional Yeast. I find most recipes with Nutritional Yeast are too heavy for my tastes, I use less when I cook with it.